Malaysian Muse
Monday, October 09, 2006
  The NEP is a Malaysian issue, not a Malay issue
Hi David, thanks for your comment. I think we all need to move away from racial compartmentalisations when it comes to issues affecting this country. NEP will one day be re-engineered, modified, to better adresss the imbalances between the races, and malays and non-malays who have raised this issue in a logical, sober manner, will all have played a role. What I wanted to highlight in my last posting is that there is the voice of the Malays which has been silent for so long in regards to the NEP, is finally being communicated. I don't consider the NEP as a malay issue but a Malaysian issue. Indeed, it is the global market that will decide the policy's death or modification which better closes the wealth gap between the rich and the poor.

I think beyond the rhetoric of PAS, that has softened in recent months, with younger, more media-savvy leaders coming to the fore, the party, if it ever comes to power, will take steps to reduce the propensity of certain groups to abuse the NEP. The PAS that will stand for the next general elections will not be the PAS of 2004. It will be a PAS of action and not just mere words. I think their political strategists are playing a smart waiting game and let Malay and non-Malay discontentment over many current issues boil over and scald the ruling party. Personally, I do not see the NEP (in its current form) being around until the magical 2020 number.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
I will occassionally write about developments in Malaysia and throw in my creative thoughts. I am a former journalist.

Archives
August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]