Malaysian Muse
Sunday, August 27, 2006
  Merdeka?
We are on the threshold of celebrating our 49th year of freedom from the colonial rulers of yesteryear. When I was much younger, there was much anticipation and excitement in the air about the coming of this great day - August 31st. I still recall the sense of excitement was still palpable amongst many of us during our schooldays. Maybe it was because we were getting a day off from school. Maybe it was truly pride that reverberated in our chests, being part of an entity called Malaysia. The act of getting a nation's independence from the tenterhooks of another nation is no small feat; I still get a rush when I hear Tunku Abdul Rahman (God bless his soul) proclaim independence on the occasion i hear him do that on national TV (which sadly isn't often as I have sworn off free-to-air channels for more than a decade). I wonder how many schoolchildren nowadays view Merdeka? Honestly, i haven't a clue - I should ask around on this point then.

It's just a few days away from this notable day in our history and one can scarcely feel the excitement amongst the population. 49 years into nationhood and all we have to show for it is a divided entity called Malaysia where politicians continue to fondly play the race card with gusto. One half of the population is encouraged to view the other half with suspicion and distrust in a melange of race, religion and the economy. Are we truly Merdeka? Not as long as the zero-sum game continues to be the main currency of the day.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
I will occassionally write about developments in Malaysia and throw in my creative thoughts. I am a former journalist.

Archives
August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]